1) How long have you worked for The Jasmine Pearl?
Jennifer: For almost a year. . . wow! time flies!
2) What do you do there? What does a typical day look like for you?
Jennifer: I work mainly at the bar, talkin about tea, making tea, have deep discussions with our customers and co-workers about tea. I also work on signage for the shop from time to time.
3) What attracted you to the world of tea? Tell us about the moment tea became special to you?
Jennifer: I have always loved tea. I never had much of an interest for coffee and it seemed like something cool artists did, so I dove right in as a teenager. At that time, I drank what was availlable (which wasn't much) but it was all I knew and I loved it. My favorites then were genmaicha, ginger peach black, and celestial seasonings; Emperor's Choice. I LOVED that tea! They discontinued it about 4 years later, but my obsession had stuck.
4) What are your top 5 favorite teas at The Jasmine Pearl?
Jennifer: Top five favorite teas (in rotating order)
- Fairy Eiju
- Golden Needles
5) If you were a tea, what would you be and why?
Jennifer: Probably Silver Needles: pale in color, looks delicate but has more strength than what you'd expect. It surprisingly needs to be steeped longer than you'd think before a nice full flavor comes out. Often overlooked and misunderstood. . . a quiet tea. a little sweet, a little nutty, a little floral.. . .flavorless if you don't give it enough time.
6) Tell a fun fact about yourself. What are your hobbies outside of work?
Jennifer: My absolute favorite thing to do in the world is diving into large natural bodies of cold water. My second favorite thing is to daydream. my third is to sleep. And I also just started an all natural plant-based skincare line called June Botanicals. (www.junebotanicals.com)
7) Tell us about a tea mishap or your proudest moment with tea.
Jennifer: When I first started I accidentally sold a very large amount of puerh for about 1/4th of the cost. I still feel awful about that one.
8) What is your dream place to have a cup of tea and who would you like to share it with?
Jennifer: Well, I have always wanted to have a cup of tea with Neil Young. And really, tea on top of any tall mountain is always very enjoyable.
9) What is your favorite way to brew tea? What tea ware do you use at home?
Jennifer: I'm pretty simple and I like to sit and drink just a little cup of tea in the morning. lately I've been enjoying our easy pour pot with a side handle.